Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Sermon: Esau's Sin, Ben Mauldin

11-4-17

Mr Mauldin: Esau's Sin

To start

“As it is written, “Jacob I have loved, but Esau I have hated.””
‭‭Romans‬ ‭9:13‬ ‭NKJV‬‬
http://bible.com/114/rom.9.13.nkjv

Kids remember this.

How many have kept up with the NFL protests. Some are taking a knee.

My first attempt to protest I was 19. I flew home from Vietnam. In a way of protest I was walking out to the bus and I was in uniform so I untucked my shirt. I made it about 1 minute when a colonel pulled up and said you want to be in the brigs for the next 6 years? If not tuck your shirt back in.

So I wanted to talk about respect. Respect for people and what they have gone through

“This is the genealogy of Isaac, Abraham’s son. Abraham begot Isaac. Isaac was forty years old when he took Rebekah as wife, the daughter of Bethuel the Syrian of Padan Aram, the sister of Laban the Syrian. Now Isaac pleaded with the LORD for his wife, because she was barren; and the LORD granted his plea, and Rebekah his wife conceived. But the children struggled together within her; and she said, “If all is well, why am I like this?” So she went to inquire of the LORD. And the LORD said to her: “Two nations are in your womb, Two peoples shall be separated from your body; One people shall be stronger than the other, And the older shall serve the younger.” So when her days were fulfilled for her to give birth, indeed there were twins in her womb. And the first came out red. He was like a hairy garment all over; so they called his name Esau. Afterward his brother came out, and his hand took hold of Esau’s heel; so his name was called Jacob. Isaac was sixty years old when she bore them. So the boys grew. And Esau was a skillful hunter, a man of the field; but Jacob was a mild man, dwelling in tents. And Isaac loved Esau because he ate of his game, but Rebekah loved Jacob. Now Jacob cooked a stew; and Esau came in from the field, and he was weary. And Esau said to Jacob, “Please feed me with that same red stew, for I am weary.” Therefore his name was called Edom. But Jacob said, “Sell me your birthright as of this day.” And Esau said, “Look, I am about to die; so what is this birthright to me?” Then Jacob said, “Swear to me as of this day.” So he swore to him, and sold his birthright to Jacob. And Jacob gave Esau bread and stew of lentils; then he ate and drank, arose, and went his way. Thus Esau despised his birthright.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭25:19-34‬ ‭NKJV‬‬
http://bible.com/114/gen.25.19-34.nkjv

To Abraham. God told Abraham to look up to the stars and if he could count them that is how many children you will have. As in a nation. Esau was to fulfill this. But he sold his birthright for a bowl of stew. It shows a weak mind to sell your birthright. Almost disrespectful to all that have come before you and given you the birthright.

We’ll skip ahead

“Now it came to pass, when Isaac was old and his eyes were so dim that he could not see, that he called Esau his older son and said to him, “My son.” And he answered him, “Here I am.” Then he said, “Behold now, I am old. I do not know the day of my death. Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me. And make me savory food, such as I love, and bring it to me that I may eat, that my soul may bless you before I die.” Now Rebekah was listening when Isaac spoke to Esau his son. And Esau went to the field to hunt game and to bring it. So Rebekah spoke to Jacob her son, saying, “Indeed I heard your father speak to Esau your brother, saying, ‘Bring me game and make savory food for me, that I may eat it and bless you in the presence of the LORD before my death.’ Now therefore, my son, obey my voice according to what I command you. Go now to the flock and bring me from there two choice kids of the goats, and I will make savory food from them for your father, such as he loves. Then you shall take it to your father, that he may eat it, and that he may bless you before his death.” And Jacob said to Rebekah his mother, “Look, Esau my brother is a hairy man, and I am a smooth- skinned man. Perhaps my father will feel me, and I shall seem to be a deceiver to him; and I shall bring a curse on myself and not a blessing.” But his mother said to him, “ Let your curse be on me, my son; only obey my voice, and go, get them for me.” And he went and got them and brought them to his mother, and his mother made savory food, such as his father loved. Then Rebekah took the choice clothes of her elder son Esau, which were with her in the house, and put them on Jacob her younger son. And she put the skins of the kids of the goats on his hands and on the smooth part of his neck. Then she gave the savory food and the bread, which she had prepared, into the hand of her son Jacob.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭27:1-17‬ ‭NKJV‬‬
http://bible.com/114/gen.27.1-17.nkjv

They deceive Jacob.

“So he went to his father and said, “My father.” And he said, “Here I am. Who are you, my son?” Jacob said to his father, “I am Esau your firstborn; I have done just as you told me; please arise, sit and eat of my game, that your soul may bless me.” But Isaac said to his son, “How is it that you have found it so quickly, my son?” And he said, “Because the LORD your God brought it to me.” Isaac said to Jacob, “Please come near, that I may feel you, my son, whether you are really my son Esau or not.” So Jacob went near to Isaac his father, and he felt him and said, “The voice is Jacob’s voice, but the hands are the hands of Esau.” And he did not recognize him, because his hands were hairy like his brother Esau’s hands; so he blessed him. Then he said, “ Are you really my son Esau?” He said, “I am. ” He said, “Bring it near to me, and I will eat of my son’s game, so that my soul may bless you.” So he brought it near to him, and he ate; and he brought him wine, and he drank. Then his father Isaac said to him, “Come near now and kiss me, my son.” And he came near and kissed him; and he smelled the smell of his clothing, and blessed him and said: “Surely, the smell of my son Is like the smell of a field Which the LORD has blessed. Therefore may God give you Of the dew of heaven, Of the fatness of the earth, And plenty of grain and wine. Let peoples serve you, And nations bow down to you. Be master over your brethren, And let your mother’s sons bow down to you. Cursed be everyone who curses you, And blessed be those who bless you!””
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭27:18-29‬ ‭NKJV‬‬
http://bible.com/114/gen.27.18-29.nkjv

Why did God hate Esau? Because he so little cared for the birthright and 5e blessings from God.

“‘You shall keep My Sabbaths and reverence My sanctuary: I am the LORD. ‘Give no regard to mediums and familiar spirits; do not seek after them, to be defiled by them: I am the LORD your God. ‘You shall rise before the gray headed and honor the presence of an old man, and fear your God: I am the LORD.”
‭‭Leviticus‬ ‭19:30-32‬ ‭NKJV‬‬
http://bible.com/114/lev.19.30-32.nkjv

Where is the line in teaching respect. It might seem little to make people stand and show respect. But where do you draw the line

You know Jesus was known as a rebel. He call the Pharisees a den of vipers.

I he entirety of what Jesus was to do was the will of the Father. He laid down his life and he did the Fathers will. Even thought he didn’t really want to do he was willing to do it. He didn’t trade away his responsibility and he had total respect for the plan of the Father.

How do you pass that along to kids? Teach them to respect older people. Do some not deserve respect? Yes there are some that don’t. But should you still do it? Yes because it’s what God wants us to do.

There is a way to open yourself up to the love of God. And when we commit ourselves to doing the will of God that is when we earn the love and respect of God. Esau was flippant in his regard to God and the blessings. Who cares about tomorrow because I am about to die. It is about love of others.

Esau’s sin was a disregard for the promise that God had made. We need to follow Jesus’s example and follow through for what God wants for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment